Share

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: QPR put internal investigation on hold

QPR boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

In a statement from Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on Thursday, he denied “any accusations of wrongdoing on my part”

QPR’s internal investigation into the conduct of boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is on hold as they await all of the Daily Telegraph’s evidence.

Hasselbaink was filmed as part of the newspaper’s investigation apparently negotiating a fee to travel to Singapore to speak to a Far East firm.

He also allegedly discusses the possibility of signing players from the firm, who were undercover reporters.

“We request full co-operation from the Telegraph,” a QPR statement said.

“We are currently unable to proceed any further with the club’s internal investigation at this stage, as the Telegraph are yet to provide full and complete unconditional disclosure of all the information it has, despite a number of requests from both the club and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s legal team.

“We urge the Telegraph to provide full disclosure of all its information relating to the allegations, including video footage and a full transcript of the discussions that took place.”

The statement also said that Hasselbaink, who will remain in charge of QPR for Saturday’s Championship match at Fulham, remains “100% focused and committed to the job at hand”.

Following the sacking of Barnsley assistant boss Tommy Wright after he was named in the newspaper’s investigation into alleged corruption, the League Managers’ Association (LMA) accused the newspaper of holding up any investigation because it has yet to hand over any evidence.

The LMA said in a statement it wanted “full and complete unconditional disclosure of all the information it has, immediately”.

A Telegraph spokesperson has said it remained the newspaper’s intention to release the information but that the police had asked to review it first.

City of London Police later confirmed that discussions had already taken place with the Football Association and the Daily Telegraph.

Former Chelsea striker Hasselbaink issued a statement on Thursday when first implicated by the newspaper and denied “any accusations of wrongdoing on my part”.

He added: “I was approached by Mr McGarvey and Ms Newell of the Telegraph purporting to be players’ agents. They offered me a fee to make a speech in Singapore.

“I do not see anything unusual in being offered to be paid to make a speech.

“I did not make any promises in return. I did not ask QPR to purchase any of the players who were said to be managed by Mr McGarvey and Ms Newell and did not and would not recommend the purchase of a player for my personal gain.”

Sam Allardyce left his post as England manager on Tuesday, making a “whole-hearted apology” in the wake of allegations in The Telegraph that he offered advice on how to “get around” rules on player transfers.

Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37518589