Finn Harps footballer Kevin McHugh has been speaking about a freak accident which caused him to lose his finger.
It happened after the striker got his wedding ring caught in a fence during a coaching session in County Donegal.
Unfortunately his finger could not be saved. McHugh told the BBC that he will not play again because of the injury.
“Its not the way I had planned to say goodbye, but that’s the way it is,” he said.
The 36-year-old said that he was jumping over a fence when the accident happened.
“Once my two feet landed on the ground it felt like there was a tug on the ring, I looked down at my hand and I saw there was no finger there.
“I looked at my club mates, Dessie McGlinchy and BJ Banda, and they were sheet white and in shock, so I knew it was bad.”
“I had to hop back over the fence and bring BJ round because I needed them to coach the kids,” McHugh said.
The former Derry City man then rushed to his car and drove himself to hospital.
“My first thought was that I couldn’t let my own kids see my hand like this, so I knew I had to get to the car and get to the hospital quick.
“When I was in the car, I had to make a phone call to Mel, the other coach, because I realised I hadn’t got the finger with me and I needed it for hospital.
“I phoned him and said: “Could you go back up and get my finger on top of the fence,” and he said: “Are you serious?”
Attempts to reattach the finger at Galway University Hospital ultimately failed.
With only three games left for Finn Harps in the League of Ireland premier division, the captain revealed that he was planning to retire at the end of the campaign.
“The ring made a complete and utter mess of the finger, so there was nothing they could do for me,” said McHugh.
“I was obviously hugely disappointed. They tried to recover it but it’s gone now.
“I don’t think I could run now at this stage, so yes, my season is completely over.”
Throughout the ordeal, Kevin McHugh received plenty of attention from social media as he live tweeted updates on his condition.
“That was keeping me sane believe it or not. It was actually keeping my mind occupied as the nurses were working on me and pumping morphine into me.”
Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-37605354