Share

Eight current or ex-Premier League bosses ‘open to bribes’

Cash sterling

Eight current or former Premier League managers have taken bribes for player transfers, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The allegations come a day after the Telegraph claimed that Sam Allardyce had offered advice on how to “get around” rules on player transfers.

Allardyce subsequently left his job as England manager on Tuesday.

Two Championship bosses are also said to be open to bribes, but none of the managers have been named.

Pino Pagliara, an unlicensed Italian agent who was banned from football for five years for match-fixing in 2005, was filmed alongside two other agents, naming managers, including five they claimed to have personally paid off.

The newspaper has agreed to pass transcripts to the Football Association, English football’s governing body, as well as handing information to the police.

It also reports that Cardiff City investigated a transfer deal done with West Ham United when Allardyce was in charge of the Hammers.

The Telegraph claims auditors discovered evidence of “unexplained payments” when Ravel Morrison joined the Welsh club on loan in 2014, with Pagliara alleged to have been the agent involved.

However, during their investigation, the club failed to put the allegation to Allardyce and neither the police nor the FA were involved. The failure to report it to the FA could be a breach of the governing body’s rules.

The Telegraph says that an outside company was brought in to carry out a more thorough internal inquiry but they could not find any evidence of the payment being made to Allardyce, nor of any payment being made directly to Pagliara, so the club wound up the investigation.

A Cardiff spokesman said: “Mr Pagliara was not paid by the club. We investigated the matter thoroughly.”

Pagliara denied paying bribes to any managers and specifically rejected the allegation of improper conduct during the Morrison deal.

Referring to Monday’s allegations, Allardyce said after leaving his job as England boss: “Although it was made clear during the recorded conversations that any proposed arrangements would need the FA’s full approval, I recognise I made some comments which have caused embarrassment.”

The former Sunderland, Bolton and Newcastle boss has also previously denied taking money for player transfers.

Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37491663