Boxer dies after being knocked out in first bout

Kuba MoczykImage copyright
Magdalena Moczyk

Image caption

Kuba Moczyk has been described as having a “heart of gold” by his former trainer

A boxer who suffered a head injury in his first match has died.

Kuba Moczyk, 22, was knocked out in the third round of Saturday’s fight at the Tower Complex in Great Yarmouth.

His family said he died on Wednesday night at the James Paget Hospital in Gorleston, where he had been in a coma on a life-support machine.

A minute’s silence will be held for Mr Moczyk at a meet-and-greet event with Tyson Fury in Gorleston on Thursday night, local promoter Leon Docwra said.

“I’ve been on the phone to Tyson last night and this morning and he is just so shocked,” said Mr Docwra.

More on this story and others from Norfolk

A hospital spokesman said Mr Moczyk’s family had been at his bedside when he died and some of his organs had been donated for transplant.


Mr Docwra, who trained Mr Moczyk three years ago, said he had a “heart of gold”.

He said: “I’ve spoken to Kuba’s aunt and sister and they are absolutely devastated – they are a lovely, close family.

“He was never going to be a champion boxer – although he was very good – as he was so kind-hearted and did not have a vicious streak.

“To get into a ring was a big step and everyone was so proud of him.”

Image caption

Mr Moczyk was fatally injured at the Tower Complex during his first boxing match

Mr Moczyk, originally from Poland, worked at a chicken factory and lived in the town.

His trainer Scott Osinski said on Wednesday Mr Moczyk was winning the fight when he took the fatal blow.

His opponent is believed to be 17 years old.

Mr Docwra said he has now banned his own sons, aged 11 and 16, from boxing.

Norfolk Police has confirmed it does not plan to investigate.

Great Yarmouth Borough Council has said the venue was licensed to hold boxing events but environmental health officers would be investigating as health and safety concerns had been raised.

In a statement they said: “The onus is on event operators to ensure they have sensible health and safety arrangements including risk assessments in place and that these are followed.”

The Tower Complex has been unavailable for comment.